Monday, May 07, 2007

The best thing I’ve ever built


We started planning our dock back in February, when being down on the lake was hardly very appealing. But we knew summer would come and what’s the use of having a house on water if you don’t have a dock.

This is where internet research pays off. “Floating dock kits” on Google eventually led me to the Follansbee Dock Company of Follansbee, West Virginia. I told them how big I wanted the dock to be, and they told me what parts to order. They also gave me a list of lumber to acquire locally.

About a week after I placed the order for the floats and other hardware, the UPS lady arrived, very peeved because her whole truck was filled to the brim. A couple of days later, the lumber company left a pallet of yellow pine 2 x 6s nearly obstructing our driveway.

Over the next few weeks I carried the boards down to the lake one by one, and began to plan my assault. A circular saw, several drills, socket wrenches, levels, floats, ropes, chains and other tools helped me beat it into shape. My son came and spent a Saturday afternoon measuring and drilling and assembling.

Finally the day came to push it into the lake and anchor it down to the shore. Now all that’s left is to sit on it and enjoy summer mornings and afternoons and evenings. I haven’t tested yet, but I’m sure hoping the wireless works down there. Then I can spend part of my summer workdays on my new dock, listening to the water lapping up against the shore. Sometimes life is very, very good.

~

1 Comments:

At 6:38 PM, Blogger DetroitGirl said...

What a life!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home