Friday, December 28, 2007

Busy as a beaver


Actually, I’ve been much less busy than a beaver. Things slowed down a day or two before Christmas, and we settled in here on Lake Chatauqua for our first Christmas at home since 2003.

Our friends Paul and Saideh came from Indianapolis, with their three-year-old son Connor. Paul and I were out walking along the lake when suddenly we came across this amazing construction of out-of-control beaver activity. I had watched the beavers all summer and fall, even saw them swimming from time to time, and noticed their lodge, which was snug against the shore. Then winter set in and I made fewer trips to the edge of the lake, so I didn’t notice this taking place.

The size of this lodge is amazing, as is the fact that it’s not anchored to the shore. It’s hard to tell from the photo, but it’s about 25 feet long, and most of the trees used are at least five to six inches in diameter.

~

3 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the organic nature of the architecture.

happy new year!

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I know, that’s the exquisite beauty of it. How do we tap that naturalistic structure?

 
At 10:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Gail from A2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home