Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The People’s History

I admit it. I didn’t post for two weeks and it gnawed at my sense of responsibility to my reader.

So my newest obsession is Howard Zinn’s A People’s History of the United States. OK, it only came out 27 years ago, and I’ve always been meaning to read it but just never did. Oh my god. What a revelation. It explains so much about our world.

Did you know there were war contractors during the Civil War that supplied boots with cardboard soles for soldiers? Shipped sand in place of sugar? That poor and oppressed people rose up in rebellion time and time again? That there was a big bond company called Kidder Peabody a century and a half ago?

I’m going to be posting some of the highlights from this book as I come across them. Stay tuned.

~

1 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved this book! The history teacher used it when I taught high school. I picked up the shorter version of 20th Century American History last summer and was stunned by it! Gail

 

Post a Comment

<< Home