Monday, February 27, 2006

The rich kid's Christmas toys


Last night I cracked open a beautiful short book called A Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut. I've long been a fool for Vonnegut's droll conclusions and deadpan declarations. They cut to the quick.

I couldn't put the book down until I was finished, and then I was torn between starting over and reading it again or running out and buying a copy of it for everyone I know. Here's an excerpt:

"Human beings are chimpanzees who get crazy drunk on power. By saying that our leaders are power-drunk chimpanzees, am I in danger of wrecking the morale of our soldiers fighting and dying in the Middle East? Their morale, like so many lifeless bodies, is already shot to pieces. They are being treated, as I never was, like toys a rich kid got for Christmas."

The book's visual beauty is informed by liberal use of Vonnegut's artwork. Who knew? You can visit www.vonnegut.com and see for yourself.

If you or someone you love is from Indiana and shares Kurt’s love for our native state, click here for a very special piece of his art—and thinking.

~

3 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Blogger DetroitGirl said...

I'm a Hoosier at heart!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Michael Nolan said...

So you are, so you are. Wear it proudly.

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous james said...

They are being treated, as I never was, like toys a rich kid got for Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home