Monday, December 13, 2004

Seeing red, buying blue

Not shopping Wal-Mart has been a no-brainer for me for a long time. Watching the small town squares of Indiana empty out after the big box opens on the outskirts always pained me, and stories of the oppressive labor policies drove me to Target frequently. But a new website, "buyblue.org" has changed my mind once more. I should have suspected there was something wrong with a store that uses that much red in its branding. Sure enough, Target contributes handsomely to the Republican party, and helped reinstate Bushco in the recent election. It made me feel good to call their customer service department and tell them I'd be buying my home furnishings and dogfood at Costco in the future. Sure, they're entitled to donate to whomever they want. I just don't have to subsidize them.

Other offenders? Remarkably, Amazon.com. Turns out most of their political donations go to the red side of the fence. Barnes & Noble give to my guys. Guess where I'm going to buy my books from here on out?

This is an interesting development. The country is totally fractured when progressives buy at one store, neocons at another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home