Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Am I up to it?


am I up to it?
Originally uploaded by michael j nolan.
Okay, so I've always had this dream of having a side business buying fixer-uppers and reselling them for a tidy profit. Here goes my first one. (Our Indianapolis house was a trial run, and besides it took 10 years to renovate--mostly because we were living there while we did it.)

But it seems we've gone and bought possibly the ugliest house in New Jersey. Now I'm on the hook to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse, as they'd say in Indiana.

This is a quick in-and-out. Contractors do the heavy work, I specify the IKEA kitchen components and other design spiffs that will make the house appeal to somebody next summer. Everything on time and under budget; otherwise it'll be a financial flop.

The main appeal of this place is that it's just an hour and a half away from Philly (when traffic is light). It's only two blocks from the lovely Delaware Bay on the Cape May Peninsula, and gentrification seems to be taking place throughout the neighborhood. And take a close look at the two gigantic oak trees. One of them must be 200 years old and 150 feet tall. For Jersey Shore afficionados, while this isn't front and center, it's near enough to qualify as a "retreat."

On the bottom of the picture you can see my plans executed in a quick Photoshop sketch. Wish me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home